Hello KCMQG members,
Our meeting this month is just under a week away! We will be meeting next Thursday, October 8th at 7pm. Don't forget, we are back to meeting at Roeland Park Community Center this month.
We are looking for a member to act as our meeting photographer in the coming months. If you are interested in volunteering as the guild photographer, please contact Maggie Aisenbrey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are currently considering if our guild will participate in the 2017 KCRQF and to what extent. We would love your opinions and are looking for some interested leaders, should we choose to participate. If you are that person we need to know. Please take this quick survey before November 15. The board will be reviewing the results at our next board meeting. Thank you for your consideration.
Quilt Con Charity Quilt:
The theme of this year's charity quilt project for QuiltCon 2016 is "Improv with Intent." If you're interested in contributing to this project, make a strata to turn in at the October guild meeting. The rules are:
- Pick one color as your focus. Color choices are: white, off-white, sunflower, tomato red, light teal, grey, and black.
- Create an improv strata with solids and prints.
- Make sure prints and accent colors only include colors in our palette.
- Strata should be at least 12"x12", but can be bigger.
Please note the deadline for the Quilt Con Charity quilt is this month's meeting. Kristin Marciniak put together a handy sheet of guidelines for this project. You can find a copy of it attached to the reminder email which was sent to you.
Stuffed Animals Project:
This year we'll be creating stuffed animals to donate to the KCK Police Department. These stuffed animals we will be donating will be taken by police officers and given to children who are in scary situations. This could be domestic violence, car accidents, or any other situation where receiving something special could help a child cope with something that could be very frightening. Kristin Marciniak has started two pinterest boards where you can find patterns or tutorials for projects that would be appropriate for this charity program. KCMQG Plushie Patterns (FREE) and KCMQG Plushie Patterns (Paid). We are planning to collect the stuffed animals twice a year, with the first collection happening sometime in the late fall.
- Make a quilt no larger than 42"x42" inspired by three Clue Cards - a suspect, a weapon and a room.
- There are no sign-ups, so feel free to choose your three Clue Cards on your own. If you missed picking a card in person, you can find all of the characters, weapons, and rooms and pick your favorites by visiting this link.
- Reveal will be at the November meeting.
One Hour-Basket Holiday Swap
- Participants will be asked to make a One Hour Basket using a given fat quarter as the lining.
- They can make the outside and handles out of coordinating fabric(s). It may be pieced, appliquéd, embellished, or left plain.
- Pattern for the "1 Hour Basket" can be found here: http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/sewing/home-decor/1-hour-basket-tutorial/136408
- September meeting: Brown paper bags will be available.
- October meeting: Bring a fat quarter in a paper bag with your name on the bottom and whether you want a holiday or non-holiday basket made for you. Bags will be turned in at the meeting and swapped.
- December meeting: Bring back finished basket filled with a small gift ($10.00ish). Wrap the whole thing up and include a tag wihich includes To: and From: information.
January 22-23. Details to follow.
April 8-10, 2016 at Missouri Star Quilt Company in Hamilton, Missouri. Details and sign-ups to come in January.
10/8: Monthly KCMQG meeting at 7pm. Angela Walters will be the guest speaker.
Location: Roeland Park Community Center.
10/18: Sewing Day 11am - 5pm.
Location: Show-Me Quilting, 6221 Blue Ridge Boulevard, Raytown, Missouri
11/12: Monthly KCMQG meeting at 7pm. Clue Challenge quilts will be revealed.
Location: Roeland Park Community Center.
12/10: Monthly KCMQG meeting at 7pm. This will be our holiday party.
Location: Kauffman Foundation Conference Center, 4801 Rockhill Road, Kansas City, MO 64110
Check out the new online calendar of events for more upcoming activities.
Hope to see you all next week in Roeland Park!